Monday, September 16, 2013

Resume

As you know, I am moving back home for a job as an office manager. It is part time to start with, but will probably go full time in not too long. I gave up a well paying, full time job working with horses for something totally different. But it is a chance to move home and a chance to create a different lifestyle. It is a risk, but I feel that if you are willing to go after it, it can pay off big. Not only does my new job have a lot of opportunities for advancement, I now also have time to work on my books (and this wonderful blog). I always need horses in my life though (of course) so I am already planning on finding a new project horse of some sort to work with. The theme here once again is excitement and terrified horror at what I am doing. My mom recently sent me a book in the mail called “Who Moved My Cheese?” by Spencer Johnson. If you have not heard of it or read it yet, I highly recommend it. It is a simple story that takes less than an hour to read, but it helps you to be so much braver about going after what you want, rather than letting fear of failure and change hold you back from trying.

The other cool thing about having a part time job is that it means I can apply for other part time jobs! I am looking into veterinary offices and local horse rescues, but the most exciting job I have found is to become an animal control officer. Ever seen the show animal cops, yep, that it exactly what it is. Even though I know I would love it and have already had some experience in that type of job, the tough part is actually getting the job. Applying for a new job is stressful. This whole week I have been debating if my cover letter was good enough or if I should have written it differently. Should it be more formal, more friendly –what do you want from me! Just give me the job and I will show you that I am great. They want to know your last four jobs and what each jobs pay was – do they really think I remember what I got paid in high school to work at Jewel-Osco?? They also want my supervisors name – how the heck am I supposed to remember that!? The hardest realization is that you won’t get most jobs you apply for unless you can get a recommendation or have a connection with someone in that company.

Another interesting thing for me that I am running into on applications is that listed under preferred qualifications is “bilingual preferred.” Now I did minor in Spanish, it is on my resume, but in all reality, my Spanish is pretty terrible. I have an easier time reading and writing than listening and speaking – which is pretty useless for most day to day things you would need to know Spanish for. Due to a month spent in Chile and Argentina, I have developed a wonderful Spanish speaking ability…when I am drinking (I will get more to that later). That got me to thinking, what would happen if I sent in a brutally honest resume? I created one just for laughs; check it out:


So what do you think?? Would you hire me? I think it would actually be a fun experiment to try out, so here is what I propose to you readers – subscribe to my blog! Once I hit 100 subscribers I will send out this resume to three lucky companies. I am thinking like a fast food place, a clothing retailer, and then some big business firm. I am open to suggestions – just leave a comment below. I am ready to embrace a change and in reference to the book, I’m going to get my cheese. 

2 comments:

  1. Jenna, Kim from the barn here...can you help an old gal out and point me in the direction of where to subscribe to your blog? As a Director of Human Resources I do want to contribute to whatever it takes to get that resume sent out! Then I would pay to see the look on the face of the recruiting manager who reads it! !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great! I just added a "join this site" button under Followers on the right hand side of the blog :)

    ReplyDelete